For those that have been following the scoring chance postings, I realize that I've fallen behind a tad and that the last five games have yet to be posted. I apologize for that. I'm going to make an effort to catch up this week.
In the meantime, I figured that I'd post some data showing how each team has performed at even strength thus far. I've also included information concerning each team's performance at EV when the score is tied. The teams are ranked according to their EV Corsi ratio with the score tied.
I should note that the data is based only on the first 250 games played in 09-10, and is therefore not entirely up to date. If anyone is experiencing any difficulty in viewing the document, please let me know so that I can make the necessary adjustments.
Some points of note:
- At this point in time, the Blackhawks are far and away the best team in the league in terms of outshooting the opposition at EV with the score tied
- To the surprise of many, the Coyotes are the second best team in this regard
- The Penguins are surprisingly mediocre according to this metric; I'm not sure how much of this can be attributed to their recent injury woes
- It's unlikely that the Avalanche are as bad of an EV team as their Corsi ratio with the score tied would suggest; their EV scoring chance ratio, while still below average, isn't nearly as bad
- The data suggest that the Leafs are better than their record would indicate; likewise for Carolina
- As lucky as the Bruins were last season, the reverse has been true so far in 09-10; I suspect that they'll turn it around sooner or later